Monday, July 6, 2009

Best Weekend Ever? Part III, Sunday

Since the kids didn't get to bed until after 11pm the night before (see previous post), we had another late morning. I didn't get out of the house for my run until almost 9am.

Again, didn't leave the house until after lunch...and a late lunch at that.

Took the kids to the Lawrence Hall of Science on the campus of UC Berkeley. A very cool museum the kids really dig. The highlight (at least for me, I think for the kids as well) was the small animal room. Most people visit the hall and never find this little room just bursting with little critters. It's in the basement, down a long, seemingly endless corridor, but totally worth the trouble. If you ever go, don't miss this room.

In the span of about 20 minutes, we got to pet a chinchilla, a tarantula AND a corn snake. The kids finally agreed with me that a snake would be a cool pet and I think we might be making a trip to the East Bay Vivarium this coming weekend. (Heck, we already have a 20 gallon fish tank gathering dust in the garage that would be perfect. Snakes only eat once every 10-14 days. Super easy pet!)

Then, after a snack, it was off to the Animal Grossogoly exhibit: "Enter the world of the gross: a larger-than-life adventure that will require all your senses—including humor. It’s a whole-body experience that brings to life the gritty, engrossing facts behind—well, behinds, and other animal body parts."

Yes, lots of displays about animal poop and other slimy grossness. Obviously the kids love this stuff. Having seen this exhibit about nine times, I was less than engrossed. Took the time to make a couple phone calls and play a little Texas Hold 'Em on my cell phone.

Then home again to another incredible meal off the grill. A couple recipes out of the "Boy Meets Grill" cookbook, a father's day gift. Alice has been trying for years to get me interested in cooking, to no avail, but the grill adds a whole new element and I have to admit that I'm getting into it. Perhaps something to do with cooking over an open flame in the out-of-doors. Well, at least outside of the kitchen.

Plus, when you're grilling, it's pretty much required that you have a beer in your hand. Open flame, grilling animal flesh, beer...tough combination to resist, really.

I don't know, but I think I see a tradition emerging here: Friday at the Fair, Saturday at the Fireworks in Moraga and lot's of meals off the grill.

Yes indeed.

No comments: